Sunday, April 3, 2011

Will I ever find a place of employment?

I received a message a few days ago telling me that because of the way I chose to share my story and my struggle with anorexia, I would never be able to find a job, that no employer would even consider my application.

I received this message on the day that my therapy started and I had a mental breakdown. I chose to tell my story and to be honest because I am sick and tired of hiding and of pretending to be someone that I am not.

But still, it was a shock to hear this at this point (seriously, could this someone have been even more inconsiderate?) and after crying my eyes out, I got super angry. Am I supposed to go to university thinking that I won't be able to get a job anyway, that society thinks of me as not worthy of having a chance in life? Is it not commendable that people, who decide to be treated for whatever disease they have, want to get healthy and are willing to go through hell to find their way back to life?

Is it really the case that people who choose to be treated for a mental disease are viewed as some kind of "trash", that it is not worth "the risk" of employing them?

If that is the way it is, then what perspective do we have? What kind of world do we live in? 

5 comments:

  1. I would hope future employers, if they come across your blog, would commend your honesty. I would.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto to what Winnie said. On top of that, screw them. You are showing greater courage by sharing, and writing up a storm about it, and facing it down. Some days are better than others, but you share both.

    You said "I chose to tell my story and to be honest because I am sick and tired of hiding and of pretending to be someone that I am not."

    People will hire this person who struggled and came out the other end, stronger, smarter, and with experiences to share with the world, not the people who pretend things are ok,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with Winnie & Erik!! Whoever said this to you is not worth listening to!

    Anne, I see you coming out of this & being an example to others. I can see you reaching out to others & using what you've came through to propel you into some job. And not just a job, but a passionate career! Maybe a counselor or a spokesperson for Anorexia! People love success stories & people who come through dark times are stronger, smarter & driven! So you have a future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne, I am sorry you got such a hurtful message. That message was not true though. I will write more soon, but I wanted to tell you to be positive and try your best to ignore that hateful stuff. That is the problem with putting yourself out in the public - there will always be jealous hateful people who try to hurt you.

    You can get a job. The right employer will recognize your strength, compassion, and what a hard worker you are! You are not giving up even though this is very hard. A smart employer will cherish those qualities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, this is late was listening to Family From the Heart 156 I heard what this person said and I had to comment. The person who wrote you this a small and bitter person and when you get well (and you will) he or she will still be small and bitter You give a lot of inspiration to a lot of people by what you write and someday a company will hire and appreciate you for that reason.

    ReplyDelete