Thursday, February 17, 2011

Home Improvement

Last Sunday, my husband added the final touches (well, at least for now; I still have some ideas LOL) to what I can now call "our" apartment.

When I moved in here, Andreas lived in a typical bachelor flat. It was VERY stylish, he hardly had any furniture (most of his stuff was standing on the floor) and no storage room whatsoever.
He did not even have lights, which was not a huge problem during the summer months, but when fall and winter came around, this had to change. While Andreas always claimed that he really disliked direct light and just didn't need it at all, I cannot live in darkness; especially because of my tendency to depression.
In the beginning, everything I had was a single drawer in Andreas' huge closet. Most of my stuff was stored under the coach or the bed. As time went by and as I started to really get settled in Zürich, I could not take it anymore. I did not feel at home at all.
In October we finally went to Ikea and bought some furniture: a desk, several closets, cabinets, a sideboard for the TV, shelves and LAMPS. We spent almost 7 hours in the Ikea store and it was not easy to find a compromise, but in the end, we were both happy.
We were making progress...
It took a while before we had another free weekend to set up the furniture and we had tons of fun. We both felt a rush thinking about the fact that we were creating OUR first home.
Again, we had long discussions about the best way to arrange everything and it turned out just right.

I cannot put into words what a huge difference it made for me to have something in the apartment that Andreas and I had chosen as a couple. It felt like "our" apartment for the very first time (and I had not even realized that I had been missing something for all those months). Andreas was very skeptical at first, but he absolutely loves it now. There is nothing better than having created something together, even if you have to make compromises and even if you don`t get exactly what you thought you had wanted. The result is so much better for your soul when you cooperate; "our" feels so much better than "mine". :)

Well, Christmas came around, then New Year's, then Cameroon and now Andreas finally had the time and nerves to put up the lamps and look how awesome they are:

Let there be light... and it only took 8 months…

(We have more, but I did not take any pictures of them yet.)
I could scream with pleasure when I press the light switch and something actually HAPPENS. hehe
I liked the apartment from the very first moment, but NOW I feel like I am at home here. 


The evolution of our home:



P.S. Andreas cannot live without light anymore either. He gets crazy when it is too dark now. WHAT a change. Love seems to really change everything. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment