Friday, February 18, 2011

Winnie


Last week, my sister and I met up with my good friend Winnie in Cologne.
Winnie had a break between semesters and had asked me a long time ago if I wanted to have a girl's trip for a few days. When Valerie had to come back home from Cameroon a month earlier, we decided to taker her with us.
Unfortunately, it was very cold during the 3 days in Cologne and on the last day, it was pouring with rain. So, we spent most of our time in cafés, restaurants and at Starbucks (*grin*) chatting about everything you could possibly think of. I was very happy to see that Valerie and Winnie got along really well right away. 


Winnie is from Belgium and I got to know her through gspn.tv a long, long time ago. We were among the first members of the wonderful community Stephanie and Cliff created through their podcasts.
Being the same age, having the same interests and very similar fears, thoughts and goals in life, I felt a deep connection to Winnie from the very beginning and our friendship has grown consistently over the last few year using social media networks like twitter and facebook. 


Naturally, we also did some sightseeing (the Kölner Dom is a must-see, incredibly impressive; I have seen it so many times, but it never gets old!); we went to the Chocolate Museum  (there is such a strong, delicious, yummy chocolate aroma in the whole factory that it almost drives you crazy. Hmmmm), walked around the town for hours braving the cold and on the last day, Winnie and I went to the Roman Museum while Valerie was looking at art in the Ludwig Museum. There was not a single dull moment as we were laughing and talking ALL the time.

This just goes to show you that relationships that you form over the internet ARE real, sincere and true; they aren’t superficial or imaginary as most people still claim. Winnie is a much better friend than some people I have known all my life. She has been a source of inspiration and encouragement and I could not imagine not having her in my life anymore. I really hope that we will find a way to meet again very soon; preferably in Belgium (I have never beeen there...).

Some impressions of our time together:



Interesting fact:
Ironically, it took the premiere of the last season of LOST for the two of us to meet for the very first time – in KENTUCKY. What a funny little world we live in...


Breakfast at Cracker Barrel with the gspn.tv community
in February 2010



2 comments: