Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Third time is a charm

Okay, let us try this post again...

Last Thursday was my first therapy session at the Universitätsklinik Zürich and it didn’t go as I expected.

It took me such a long time to write this post because I had to come to terms and deal with everything that the doctor said.

I had the feeling that the doctor was very competent and I felt quite comfortable. She asked me what felt like thousands of questions and at the end she suggested a treatment as an inpatient because of the period of time that I have been sick. Just by seeing me this once, she could tell that I was in a very poor state of health and she told me that, if I didn’t get healthy soon, the consequences would be grave.
There was not enough time for talking about the details and/or possible alternatives and the unfortunate thing is that she is not here this week, so my next appointment is still a week away. This might not seem long to you, but for me, it feels like an eternity in hell.

I was extremely disappointed after this session because it was clear to me that I would have to start all over again, searching for a therapist, waiting for an appointment, delaying the much needed treatment again.
I have been in a state of limbo ever since. Going to a clinic is my worst nightmare. I just started university, how could I possibly put my life on hold AGAIN? If I decided to take some time to go to this clinic, I would not earn my bachelor’s degree until I was at least 28 years old; an embarrassing and impossible thought.

However, my doctor is right.

During my therapy session, I had to step on the scale despite my vehement protest. The doctor wanted to see how critical my state really is. Since I was my weight, this number is going through my head like a live ticker 24/7. Tick tack tick tack tick tack Sick.
Today is the third day of the new semester and I am sad to admit that I have started the same behavioral pattern as last semester. The anxiety is back, the fear of having to make a decision about my calorie intake, the pressure to go workout despite feeling ill and weak and the inability to concentrate on the lecture. It is all back.

Furthermore, I collapsed yesterday afternoon for the third time in the last few months. First, it happened at the Apple Store, then once on campus and yesterday at home. I am lucky that nothing serious happened. However, three times is ENOUGH.

I am at the end of my tether, my body is exhausted and my mind cannot take it anymore. What is even more important is the fact that my family cannot deal with it anymore either. They are helpless and cannot bear to see me like this anymore and they just can’t and won’t listen to my craziness one more day.

As unbearable the thought is that my sister, who is 3 years younger, will graduate long before I will, I will have to accept it. In the physical and mental state that I am in right now, I would never be able to make it through this semester.
I cannot wait any longer.
So, praying that they have a spot for me soon, I will almost certainly have myself admitted to a clinic.

4 comments:

  1. Anne, thank you for sharing this with us. I really hope you can get the help you need *hugs*

    Try not to stress about what age you are when you get your degree - many people change career paths throughout life and go to university as mature age students, many much much older than 28! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kiki. Age and when you feel you are "supposed to" accomplish something like a university education are irrelevant, especially when your health is at stake. You need a firm foundation for the other parts of your life. If you look at it another way, many of the students who enter university at "the usual time" fall into many of the traps of immaturity, such as drinking, poor study habits, no sense of direction, etc. You will be much better prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne,
    I love how open you are being about all of this. I agree with Kiki & Fred. You need to take care of your health before you can concentrate on studying.

    We love you! You need to do what you need to do to live! I'll be praying for you! If you need to talk, you know where I am!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your encourgement and for giving me some perspective. I could not do it without you.

    ReplyDelete