Monday, May 2, 2011

The meatball bunny


Flashback to Easter Saturday..... Woooooosssshhhhhhhh


I had racked my brains for weeks over what I could give my husband for Easter.
In our family, it is tradition to do an Easter egg hunt with a basket of chocolate bunnies and eggs. Even though we are all grown up now, we still have a blast searching for our Easter baskets.
Since I totally messed up on my husbands’ birthday – the first birthday of his we celebrated together. I had been too weak to buy him a present, had felt too empty to write him a love letter or even a Birthday Card. This is no excuse and I know I hurt him and will eternally regret it.
However, this isn’t a blog about his birthday, but about his Easter gift.
The crazy guy that he is, my husband does not eat chocolate. (Believe me, peeps, I still cannot fathom it.... hehe). So, the usual Easter eggs and bunnies were out of question.
Andreas loves meat, but I just could not figure out how to include meat in an Easter basket.
On Easter Saturday night, I had the brilliant idea of piecing together a bunny of meatballs.
It was not easy to hide my plan from my husband, especially since it seemed quite suspect to him that I went to the grocery store so late on Easter Saturday.

On Sunday morning, I finally just told him that I needed him to write and design our Easter cards and that he could not, under any circumstances come downstairs to the kitchen. This kept him occupied long enough for my mom and I to start our little project. We decided to create the bunny ears using cheese, which is on the other rare things he loves. Rarely did we have so much fun in the kitchen. My daddy roared with laughter and my mom and I giggled like little girls.
We had such a blast that we decided to not only create 2 bunnies for his Easter basket, but also a third one with hands and feet for breakfast.
My mom and I were so proud of our creation... hehe
When Andreas was finally allowed to come downstairs for Easter breakfast the air was filled with anticipation.
 Needless to say, he loved his surprise and ate the first bunny right away.

I have no idea where I found the inspiration for this meatball bunny, but I am beyond grateful to have found a way of giving a little gift of appreciation tot he love of my life.


Andreas with his bunny at breakfast

Easter basket

3 comments:

  1. HA HA! I love it! Jeff would so love that type of bunny (He's not big on chocolate either!) SO glad you had that idea plus what memories you now have of creating it with your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, guys.... lol maybe this is a new business idea. I am sure that there are many other men who'd rather have a meatball bunny than a chocolate one. :)

    ReplyDelete